Recipe by Hedda Lettuce in Ontario
Original recipe from a former colleague. This is so good with either left over chicken or or turkey or with meat purchased especially for the recipe. I added a specific amount of pepper and a pinch of dried tarragon. A good soup for kids to make and enjoy!
Top Review by Nif
What a terrific and hearty soup! This was so easy to throw together and used ingredients that most people have on hand. I poached chicken breasts for this and just realized that I forgot the tarragon! The whole family enjoyed this a lot and we will have it again for sure. Made for Pick A Chef 2011 for my adopted chef, Hedda Lettuce in Ontario! Thanks!:)
- 3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked and shredded chicken meat
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine ground pepper
- 1 pinch dried tarragon
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, saute the carrots, onion and celery in the oil over medium high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken broth and rice, bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and pepper and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley. Add salt to taste.