Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came from TOH sounds delicious
- 8 ounces semisweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream, whipped
- In a microwave or a double boiler, heat chocolate, 1/4 cup water and butter until the chocolate and butter are melted.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar and remaining water.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°F, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Set saucepan in ice and stir until cooled, about 5-10 minutes.
- Fold in whipped cream.
- Spoon into dessert dishes.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
Mmmmmmmmm! Great use for those left-over egg yolks. I used 2 oz. dark chocolate, (because that's all I had), and 6 oz. chocolate chips. It took several minutes for the egg mixture to come up to 160, (I used an instant-read thermometer), and I strained the mixture, just in case. That which didn't make it into the ramekins was VERY tasty. :)