Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This bread makes wonderful sandwiches. It doesn't crumble when slicing, even when warm. Cooking times are approximate as times vary with different bread machines.
- 1 1⁄8 cups warm water (90 degrees)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, softened and cut into pieces
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry instant potato flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Place all ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed or as suggested by the manufacturer.
- Set the bread machine on the following settings: "basic" bread; "light" crust;
- "1-1/2 pound" loaf size.
- NOTE: This bread can be made with the "delay" timer setting.
The bread turned out wonderfully. I followed the recipe exactly. Like any bread, it was the most "heavenly" when it was still warm. My husband is so sold on this recipe, he's asked me to start making it all the time and to stop using store bought bread altogether!
Great loaf of bread! I made 2 loaves. One on the dough setting in the bread machine and the other with the kitchen aid. I baked both loaves at 350* for 30 minutes. The one made in the bread machine turned out to be a high-riser and looks and tastes wonderful. The one with the kitchen aid didn't rise as high (I should have left it to rise higher) and it is obvious denser. It will make good toast. Thanks for sharing this great recipe.
This bread was awesome! I made it twice, the first time as is and used the regular cycle in the breadmaker & turned out perfect. The second time I tried to cheat and did not work, the rapid baking cycle and this recipe do not jive apparently :) Thx for a keeper...