Recipe by Kay D.
This recipe is from Colette Peters in a wonderful book called Cakes To Dream On. It's one of the many recipes I tested when making my daughter's first birthday cake.
Top Review by benners1980
I found this recepie in Peters' Book Cake to Dream On. I'm not sure what I did wrong with this cake, but I used it to make cupcakes and they have been baking for almost and hour and a half and are still not testing as done! Thoughts?
- 8 ounces all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 10 ounces packed brown sugar
- 11 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup egg white, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, at room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Coat 2 8-inch cake pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flours, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugars together in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and the egg whites, scraping down the sides of mixing bowl.
- Mix again until fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour mixture in three batches, alternating with three batches of milk, and ending the additions with flour.
- Mix each addition just until combined; do not overmix or the cake will be dry.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30- 35 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Let the cakes cool completely in the pans on wire racks.
- Wrap and refrigerate (cake still in pan) until ready to decorate.