Recipe by Peyton's Mom
A thick chocolate/caramel gooey delight. This is a recipe taken from several other recipes and "tweaked". It is a hit at every party it is taken too. A word of caution: This is very heavy (in weight & calories) but worth the splurge.
Top Review by 2 many kids
Simple and decadent..... Only thing diffrent I did is used 1 bag of chocolate chips (I forgot to buy 2)and halved them. I also saved a little of the carmel mixture and drizzled it over the finished cake... A HUGE hit!!!Super rich and delicious....Thanks for this great recipe.....
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxbetty crocker super moist German chocolate cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (14 ounce) bag Kraft caramels (unwrapped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 (12 ounce) bagsof nestle milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup of chopped pecans (I have taken these out if I know there is someone with a nut allergy) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix cake mix per box directions. Pour 1/2 of cake batter into a well greased 13 X 9 pan. Bake until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan (15-20 minutes).
- In a non stick heavy sauce pan, melt butter, caramels and condensed milk until creamy and there are no lumps from candies.
- Add one bag of chocolate chips to the layer of cake in pan, add nuts, then pour on caramel sauce, then top with 2nd bag of chocolate chips and remaining cake batter.
- Return to oven and cook until top layer of cake springs back at touch (about 30 minutes).
- Cool, cut and serve.
- This always taste better if made a day ahead.