Recipe by Hey Jude
After years of preparing desserts 'from scratch', I've now discovered how easy it is to use convenience products. My house is up for sale and all my small appliances are packed so I've needed to come up with recipes that can be made quickly with just bowls and pans. I found this recipe on a container of frozen whipped topping, not Cool Whip, but a generic brand. I found it to be the perfect convenience product dessert recipe!
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 12 ounces angel food cake
- 2 (12 ounce) cans skim evaporated milk
- 1 (5 1/8 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 2 (8 ounce) cartonsfrozen french vanilla whipped topping, defrosted (like Cool Whip)
- 6 ounces english toffee, candy coarsely crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve coffee and sugar in 2 T. hot water; refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, cut or tear cake into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
- Pour milk and pudding into coffee mixture. Mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in cake pieces by hand and set aside for 5 minutes.
- In an attractive 2-quart serving bowl, layer half the cake-pudding mixture; top with half the defrosted, frozen whipped topping and half the toffee. Repeat with remaining cake mixture and whipped topping.
- Sprinkle remaining toffee over the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours for flavors to blend.
- You can also refrigerate this overnight to serve the next day. Cook time is the refrigeration time.