Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Rich and thick. Almost a stew,it makes a great light winter meal. Uses 1 pot and 1 cutting board and a salad bowl, easy on the clean up I added a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of parsley for presentation. SIDES spinach salad whole grain rolls.
- 1 roasted sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cubed white potato
- 10 ounces chicken broth or 10 ounces vegetable broth, for vegetarian
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 ounces Baby Spinach
- 3 ounces red leaf lettuce
- 8 black olives, chopped in half
- 8 green olives, chopped in half
- 7 marinated artichoke hearts
- herb salad dressing
- Roast the sweet potato in its jacket. I roasted mine until it was carmelized and the skin very loose.
- Saute onions and pressed garlic for about 3 minutes over medium high heat.
- add potato and saute for another 3 minutes.
- add broth (I used homemade stock so I added a chicken cube for extra umph), spices, and sweet potato
- simmer until potatoes are soft.
- meanwhile assemble the salad ingredients (do not add dressing until served.
- The whole grain rolls can be wrapped in tinfoil and warmed in the oven.
- Remove from burner, mash soup with potato masher
- add half and half.
- reheat but not to a boil.
- Serve soup in soup bowls with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt in the middle and a sprig of parsley ( if you give the soup a quick swirl with a spoon it gives a nice decorative effect) Salad can be served out of a salad bowl or on side plates with warmed rolls.