1/1 Photo of Heavenly Spiced Cake
Catfish Charlie's Note:
The spices are the star of this cake so use the freshest you can get- it's definitely best if you can grind your own! You can make it with or without the fried apple filling. The cream cheese icing goes perfectly with this recipe. I created this recipe for my wife's birthday cake and it was a big hit! The apple filling ingredients start at the 2 baking apples, the frosting ingredients start at the package of cream cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour (makes a much better cake than all-purpose flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (or one pinch)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 baking apples (granny smith, winesap, etc)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 lemons or 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1 (250 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Cream together butter and sugar, brown sugar until smooth.
- 3Add eggs and vanilla, blend for 1 minute.
- 4Stir all dry ingredients together.
- 5Alternate adding scoops of dry ingredients and buttermilk to the creamed mixture while beating until all ingredients are combined.
- 6Blend until there are no lumps.
- 7Pour into two 9 inch rounds and bake for~40 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- 8Allow cakes to cool.
- 9If you wish to stack the cakes you should cut the rounded tops off with a bread knife once they have cooled so that they will stack flat, save the removed portion for apple filling.
- 10To make fried apple filling, scoop a trough into the top of the first cake layer for the apple filling, about 1 inch deep but leave the edges to form a shallow dish or basin in the cake.
- 11Save the crumbs from this procedure.
- 12Peel and core 2 baking apples.
- 13Chop apples and put into a skillet along with 3 T butter, about 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon.
- 14Heat on medium heat, stir occasionally to prevent burning but allow the apples to brown slightly (this turns the sugars to caramel).
- 15Once the apples have stopped sweating and are caramelized, add the juice from 1/2 lemon or lime and 1/4 cup of apple juice.
- 16Remove from heat.
- 17Add the cake crumbs until all liquid has been absorbed.
- 18Spoon this into the shallow trough on the cake and place the second cake on top.
- 19To make frosting, ceam butter and cheese together.
- 20Blend in vanilla and add sugar.
- 21Once sugar is incorporated turn mixer to high and whip until light and creamy.
- 22Frost the top and sides of the cake, sprinkle with additional cinnamon or nutmeg if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heavenly Spiced Cake
Serving Size: 1 (944 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3181.5
- Calories from Fat 2487
- Total Fat 276.3 g
- Saturated Fat 173.3 g
- Cholesterol 935.3 mg
- Sodium 2514.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 125.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 76.5 g
- Protein 61.1 g