Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For my mom's birthday this year I wanted to make something special for her. After searching tons of cookbooks for the "just right" combination of shrimp and grits I have developed this concoction with the help of the Tabasco cookbook and the Best of Bayou Cuisine. Happy Birthday Mom!
For the Parmesan Grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
For the Shrimp
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use the 26-30 count)
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sliced scallion
- Parmesan Grits:.
- Bring milk and broth to a boil.
- (WATCH THIS VERY CAREFULLY BECAUSE THE MILK WILL OVERFLOW IF IT GETS TOO HOT).
- Add grits and cook according to package directions.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and the Tabasco.
- (If you prefer firmer grits: Add to the above 1 cup milk, and 2 large beaten eggs; then bake for at 350 for 30 minutes).
- Heat large skillet until very hot, add olive oil.
- When oil is thoroughly heated, toss in shrimp to cover bottom of pan.
- Before stirring, season with salt and pepper (this will season shrimp in particular, but the rest of the dish as well).
- Stir until shrimp begin to turn pink all over (let pan return original hot temperature).
- Stir in minced garlic and mushrooms.
- Add lemon juice and wine, stir for 30 seconds or until everything is well coated.
- Toss in sliced scallions and stir for about 20 seconds.
- Serve over grits!