Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This delicious rhubarb cake is a sinful blend of tart and sweet flavors--yet it's relatively low in calories!
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup sour milk (see note)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups rhubarb, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 13 X 9 inch pan (glass is best) with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 TBSP sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1 1/3 cup sugar, oil, applesauce, egg substitute, and sour milk.
- In separate bowl, combine baking soda and flour.
- Stir flour mixture into wet ingredients.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle top of cake with walnuts (optional) and cinnamon/sugar mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until top of cake springs back lightly when touched.
- NOTE: To make sour milk, place one TBSP vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.
- Add enough milk to equal one cup.
- Let mixture sit several minutes to allow milk to curdle.
- Buttermilk may be used in place of sour milk.
This was GOOD, but not heavenly. Just your basic rhubarb cake recipe. Very easy to make, very easy to eat.
Nice cake my DD baked.
Yum! I could have eaten the whole pan myself! You'd never know it was low-fat--very moist. I also subbed half the sugar for baking Splenda. Very good--thanks.