Recipe by blessedgramma6
These are my families absolute favorite home-made bread recipe. I have been making it for years and am always asked for the recipe. You can also use this recipe for caramel, cinnamon or sticky buns. This is a wonderful recipe to make Sat. night, roll out before you leave for churchu and then have ready to bake when you get home.
- 2 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast (small packets)
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (I usually use butter)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir and dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water. Let it stand for 10 minutes. Combine the dissolved yeast, eggs, 2 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup warm water, shortening, sugar and salt in a mixer bowl. Beat until smooth at medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour to make a soft dough. It will be sticky. Cover and let rise until double in bulk, about an hour. Punch down and refrigerate overnight. (If you are using a KitchenAid mixer, do all the mixing with it and forget the wooden spoon).
- Three hours before baking, divide dough in half,and then roll each half into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Spread with butter. Starting with long side, roll up jelly-roll style. Cut in 1 inch slices. Place cut side down in greased muffin-pan cups.
- Cover and let rise about 3 hours until doubled. Bake at 400°f for 12-15 minutes.
- OR: Divide the dough in half as directed, but roll into a circle. Cut 12 pie shaped wedges with a pizza cutter, and then roll up like a crescent roll. I usually butter these also, and sometimes add fresh parmesan cheese before rolling. These make large rolls, so if you smaller ones divide the dough into three pieces, and end up with 36.