Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 hrs
We made this recently and it was so tender that we scooped pieces off with a spoon and ate it on crackers. It also makes a wonderful sandwich meat. My house mates suggested calling this "pork pate" but as it is not a pate I chose to name it otherwise.
- 1 pork loin, small enough to fit into your crock pot
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion
- herbs (I recommend basil and oregano)
- salt and pepper (and Mrs. Dash if you have it)
- Cut onion into eights or 1/4 rings.
- Trim off excess fat.
- Coat loin in a heavy layer of salt pepper and Mrs. Dash.
- Braise loin in oven until all sides are well browned.
- Let cool until you can lift it without burning yourself.
- Place loin in Crock pot.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 of stock.
- Pour liquid over loin.
- Add garlic and herbs.
- Use enough of the remaining stock to cover the meat.
- Turn crock pot to high and leave undisturbed for at least five hours, the longer the better.
- Remove and cool.
- Set aside the stock for another recipe.
We tried this, but just did not like it.
I think ours may have needed to cook a little longer. We felt like it needed some gravy as well.
I made this a fw months ago when I got my crockpot. The only thing I changed was I cooked it on low for 15 hrs. It fell apart. This was excellent, thank you for the recipe. ~Chris~