Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is very rich with all the real butter, cheese and pasta, but the wonderful taste makes the extra calories well worth it! Wonderful comfort food!
- olive oil
- sliced mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons real butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic salt
- parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (New York brand is great)
- 8 ounces barilla mostaccioli pasta
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray large glass baking dish with olive oil.
- Fill bottom with sliced mushrooms.
- Melt 4 Tablespns. real butter and remove from heat.
- Add 4 Tablespns. flour slowly, stir till there are no lumps.
- Return to heat and sizzle a little.
- Add gradually, while stirring constantly, 2 cups whole milk.
- Salt, pepper, garlic salt and parsley flakes to mixture (to your taste).
- As it starts to thicken, add a very generous 1-1/2 cups sharp New York cheese.
- cut in pieces. Stir, turn off heat and cover.
- Cook until not quite done 8 oz. Barilla Mostaccioli pasta.
- Place all of the sauce in glass baking dish on top of mushrooms. It’s okay if cheese is not totally melted (better, actually).
- Add drained pasta slowly. You may not need all of the pasta. Be sure to.
- leave it kind of soupy and don’t add too much pasta.
- Bake 40 minutes and then stand back when it’s attacked.
- *Note: Sometimes I use one cup buttermilk and one cup whole or skim milk.