Recipe by Doing it Right
A very healthy, light cake. A great "treat" for those watching their food intake. I make this cake when I'm really craving something sweet, but can't afford the calories of a typical dessert.
Top Review by Narshmellow
All the way 5 stars! I was looking for a recipe with less sugar over less fat. This has both. I did have to use a regular cake mix since I've never found a reduced fat one. I used DH's pineapple supreme. And I used four medium sized eggs including the yolks. This is one of the most moist, flavorful cakes I have ever tasted. The mandarin oranges lend so well to the cake it's better than the oil in it. The cake bakes beautifully, I did, however, follow the directions on the cake box since I'm at a high altitude. The frosting could be eaten alone, it's so light, full of flavor. On the cake they are a mouthful of heaven. If you're looking to lower sugar content and/or fat for a dessert, this is it! Thank you for a wonderful recipe!
- 1 reduced-fat yellow cake mix (I use Betty Crocker)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, with juice
- 4 Egg Beaters egg substitute (or 1 Cup of egg whites)
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip Free
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple, crushed with the juice
- 1 (1 ounce) package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Spray a 9 X 13 cake pan with cooking spray.
- Pour cake mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix all the frosting ingredients until just combined, do not over mix.
- Spread frosting mixture over cooled cake.
- Refrigerate remaining cake.