Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This a wonderful lemon curd filling in a baked meringue shell. Don't try to make this on a rainy day.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla.
- beat until stiff peaks form, slowly add 1 cup of sugar, beating until meringue stands in stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spread over bottom and sides of a well greased 10 inch pie plate and bake at 275 for 1 hour.
- Beat egg yolks slightly in the top of a double boiler.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and salt.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until thick.
- When mixture is cool, whip the cream and fold custard into it.
- Put in the baked pie shell.
- Chill 12 hours.