Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 hrs
This recipe was given to me by a friend. It is so light and fluffy! Cook time includes cooking and refrigeration time before serving.
- 1 (9 ounce) graham cracker crust
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 4 large egg yolks (slightly beaten)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water which has been placed in a small bowl and let the gelatin stand about 15 minutes until it softens.
- Place egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon zest, 1/2 cup of the sugar and the salt into the top of a double boiler.
- Heat the water in the bottom of the double boiler to simmer (don't boil) and beat yolk mixutre constantly with a whisk until it becomes thick.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the custard mixture and stir until combined well.
- Allow this mixture to cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and continue beating until the mixture is stiff, but not dry.
- Gently fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cooled custard mixture, folding in until no egg whites can be seen.
- Fold in the remaining egg white mixture until no white can be seen.
- Pour the lemon mixture into the piecrust and refrigerate overnight.
- I serve this with a dollop of Cool Whip on each slice.