Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake is light, fluffy and moist, a perfect cake to serve to dinner guests. Use only cake flour for this.
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt, then sift one more time, then beat in oil, egg YOLKS, 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice, water and lemon peel with an electric mixer at low speed for about 3 minutes.
- In a large dry copper or stainless steel bowl beat the room temperature egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry.
- Fold in about 1/4 of the whites into the batter to lighten, the gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pan.
- Tap on the counter to release any air pockets.
- Bake for about 1-1/4 hours, or until the cake is springy to the touch.
- Immediately invert cake in pan over neck of a bottle (I use an empty beer bottle for this).
- Cool the cake completely while inverted.
- Remove the cake from the bottle and place on the counter.
- Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen cake.
- Transfer the cake to a serving plate.
- Dust with powdered sugar.