Recipe by 1ginger
Most delicious light, custard, pumpkin pie i ever tasted. Found this recipe on the net, can't remember where. Eggs should be room temperature and the whites should not be over done.
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 ounces pumpkin, can
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Separate the weggs into two mixing bowls with the yolks in a larger one.
- Beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn a pale yellow color.
- At a low speed beat in the sugar, salt, and spices and extract; then add the pumpkin, cream, margarine and cornstarch. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl and beat until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Whisk the egg whites until the peaks are stiff but not dry.
- Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into the pumpkin custard to lighten it.
- Gently fold in the remaining egg whites in two installments.
- Pour into the pie shell and bake 450F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 for 30 minutes and check if done. Thereafter check every 5 minutes.
- Pie is done when the custard wobbles only slightly when the pan is gently shakened or a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the center comes out mostly clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
- Top each slice with honey, walnuts, and cream before serving.