Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This dense, honey sweetened cake is a real treat. Plate it with a wedge of ripe apricot drizzled with a bit of honey and then nestle a whole almond in the apricot pit hollow. Serve with a cup of chai for a delightful and unforgetable sensory experience. It's manna. Truly.
For the fruit layer
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe apricots, quartered and pitted (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup slivered almonds, blanched and rough chopped
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the cake
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons arrowroot, in
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 10 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray or lightly coat with vegetable oil.
- Make fruit layer for the cake by mixing together the first 4 ingredients.
- Then sprinkle the flour over the fruit and stir a few times to blend.
- In a large bowl, mix honey, oil, arrowroot slurry and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours, ground almond, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Sift flour mixture into the honey mixture and stir to blend.
- Pour slightly less than half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Spoon the fruit mixture evenly over the batter and then cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and bake another 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out cleanly.
- Cook cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing the sides.
- Cool cake completely before slicing.