1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Helping Hands's Note:
I consider this recipe to be one of my best "stand-by's!" It is a great "stand-by" recipe for family-friendly meals; to throw together as an easy one-pot meal for any occasion; for unexpected company; for easy weekend meal prep that allows for delicious leftovers all week; for a potluck, or to take to a family who is sick or in need; or for guest-worthy dinner parties (because it is so easy to make,so that the chef can enjoy the festivities, too). It is just a great and easy recipe that can be thrown together on a moment's notice! There are a million baked/roasted chicken recipes out there, but I like this one because it allows the chicken and potatoes to roast to a perfect crisp (yet so tender on the inside); the chicken turns out incredibly moist (thanks to the decadant butter); and the spices and garlic create a flavor-rich dish. I prefer to make it with butter or high quaility spread, but you can use olive oil in place of the butter, if you prefer. An added bonus to this recipe is that it will make your house smell heavenly, while it cooks. Mmmmm - good! :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter (or more)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (plus a bit extra)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped coursely (or quartered)
- olive oil, to taste
- 1Pre-heat oven to 400.
- 2Unwrap chicken, remove giblets (if needed), wash, and pat semi-dry.
- 3Spread 1 tbs butter on the bottom of shallow roasting pan.
- 4Place whole chicken in roasting pan, breast side up.
- 5Sprinkle liberally with salt.
- 6Spread remaining butter all over chicken.
- 7Sprinkle with black pepper, lemon pepper, and paparika to taste. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- 8Add potatoes to pan, surrounding the chicken.
- 9Spinkle potatoes with salt, pepper, and small amount of rosemary.
- 10Drizzle potatoes with olive oil.
- 11Place pan in oven and bake chicken and potatoes for 20 minutes.
- 12Remove from oven.
- 13Toss potatoes to turn.
- 14Add 1 cup water to the pan.
- 15Add chopped carrots and onion to pan.
- 16Sprinkle minced garlic over veggies and chicken.
- 17Drizzle carrots and onion with olive oil.
- 18Place pan back in oven.
- 19Bake for an additional 45 mins until chicken is brown and crispy, and potatoes are nicely roasted.
- 20Remove from oven, allowing chicken to cool.
- 21Carve chicken and serve with veggies (drizzle with gravy from the pan, if you like).
- 22NOTE: If whole chicken is over 3.5 pounds, add 8-10 mins per pound to cooking time.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heavenly Home-Style Roasted Whole Chicken and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 954.1
- Calories from Fat 584
- Total Fat 64.9 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 274.3 mg
- Sodium 402.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 60.8 g