Recipe by Helping Hands
I consider this recipe to be one of my best "stand-by's!" It is a great "stand-by" recipe for family-friendly meals; to throw together as an easy one-pot meal for any occasion; for unexpected company; for easy weekend meal prep that allows for delicious leftovers all week; for a potluck, or to take to a family who is sick or in need; or for guest-worthy dinner parties (because it is so easy to make,so that the chef can enjoy the festivities, too). It is just a great and easy recipe that can be thrown together on a moment's notice! There are a million baked/roasted chicken recipes out there, but I like this one because it allows the chicken and potatoes to roast to a perfect crisp (yet so tender on the inside); the chicken turns out incredibly moist (thanks to the decadant butter); and the spices and garlic create a flavor-rich dish. I prefer to make it with butter or high quaility spread, but you can use olive oil in place of the butter, if you prefer. An added bonus to this recipe is that it will make your house smell heavenly, while it cooks. Mmmmm - good! :-)
Top Review by ThursdayChild
Wow- This was excellent! I added mushrooms with the potatoes and probably cooked a bit longer before stirring the potatoes. I wasn't sure it the minced garlic was the dried kind or fresh. I decided since the rosemary called for was dried, it was probably the dried kind. I didn't have any on hand so I used Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic. I didn't measure anything, just did what felt right on the amounts and it was simply delicious. This is a keeper!
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons butter (or more)
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary (plus a bit extra)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lemon pepper, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb red potatoes, unpeeled and quartered
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped coursely (or quartered)
- olive oil, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Unwrap chicken, remove giblets (if needed), wash, and pat semi-dry.
- Spread 1 tbs butter on the bottom of shallow roasting pan.
- Place whole chicken in roasting pan, breast side up.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Spread remaining butter all over chicken.
- Sprinkle with black pepper, lemon pepper, and paparika to taste. Sprinkle with rosemary.
- Add potatoes to pan, surrounding the chicken.
- Spinkle potatoes with salt, pepper, and small amount of rosemary.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil.
- Place pan in oven and bake chicken and potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Toss potatoes to turn.
- Add 1 cup water to the pan.
- Add chopped carrots and onion to pan.
- Sprinkle minced garlic over veggies and chicken.
- Drizzle carrots and onion with olive oil.
- Place pan back in oven.
- Bake for an additional 45 mins until chicken is brown and crispy, and potatoes are nicely roasted.
- Remove from oven, allowing chicken to cool.
- Carve chicken and serve with veggies (drizzle with gravy from the pan, if you like).
- NOTE: If whole chicken is over 3.5 pounds, add 8-10 mins per pound to cooking time.