- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 1 (16 ounce) confectioners' sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 -8 tablespoons evaporated milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat or in microwave; remove from heat and let cool several minutes. Add the cocoa and stir to mix; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, with a whisk beat the eggs and granulated sugar until well blended.
- To the egg/sugar mixuture, add the melted butter/cocoa and vanilla extract; stir or whisk until blended.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Whisk to mix well. Add pecans and incorporate.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly oiled 9x13x2 inch baking pan. The batter will be thick.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately pour the marshmallows evenly over the top of the hot cake. They will soften but will not melt.
- For the topping:.
- Sift the confectioners' sugar with the 4 tablespoons cocoa. (This is easily done by using a seive and it also breaks up the lumps.).
- A few minutes before the cake is done, melt the 4 tablespoons butter and the evaporated milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat; remove.
- Combine the sugar and cocoa mixture with the butter and milk mixture. Pour over the warm cake.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into squares to serve.