Recipe by heatherhopecs
High-fiber muffins that are full of flavor. Full of apples, carrots and nuts, these muffins are so good and great for you. I adapted this recipe from one that came on a box of Hodgon Mill Mulit-Grain Hot Cereal (found in the gourmet or health food area of a regular grocery store). If you can find the Hodgon Mill hot cereal, use it, but if you can't find it, you can put the same amount of oatmeal in a blender or food chopper and chop until it is very fine. Note: the more you use the lowfat options, the quicker these will cook. Best is to stick to just one or two lowfat options (e.g. just egg whites and skim milk and use veg oil, etc.)
Top Review by dodge_bee_6300400
I made these yesterday but used one small banana instead of the applesauce (only because I had one in desperate need of use) and these turned out great! I also left the peel on the apples to increase the fiber. Nom-Nom-Nom :)
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill multi-grain hot cereal (or enough finely blended or chopped oatmeal to make 1 cup)
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup carrot, shredded or finely chopped (about 2 large)
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 large)
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup milk (can be skim, soy, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts, your choice (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and chop apples. Peel and shred or finely chop carrot. Use a mini-food chopper or food processor to speed the process.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add apple, carrot and other wet ingredients.
- Mix well! Batter will be quite thick.
- Grease muffin pan or muffin cups.
- Spoon batter into cups.
- Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until muffins are golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter, margarine or jam.