Napoleon Dynamite's Note:
High-fiber muffins that are full of flavor. Full of apples, carrots and nuts, these muffins are so good and great for you. I adapted this recipe from one that came on a box of Hodgon Mill Mulit-Grain Hot Cereal (found in the gourmet or health food area of a regular grocery store). If you can find the Hodgon Mill hot cereal, use it, but if you can't find it, you can put the same amount of oatmeal in a blender or food chopper and chop until it is very fine. Note: the more you use the lowfat options, the quicker these will cook. Best is to stick to just one or two lowfat options (e.g. just egg whites and skim milk and use veg oil, etc.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup Hodgson Mill multi-grain hot cereal (or enough finely blended or chopped oatmeal to make 1 cup)
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup carrot, shredded or finely chopped (about 2 large)
- 1 cup apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 large)
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup milk (can be skim, soy, etc.)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts, your choice (optional)
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1Peel and chop apples. Peel and shred or finely chop carrot. Use a mini-food chopper or food processor to speed the process.
- 2Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 3Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 4Add apple, carrot and other wet ingredients.
- 5Mix well! Batter will be quite thick.
- 6Grease muffin pan or muffin cups.
- 7Spoon batter into cups.
- 8Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until muffins are golden brown on the top and a toothpick inserted into one comes out clean.
- 9Serve warm with butter, margarine or jam.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for *heavenly* Fiber Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.3
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 263.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Hodgson Mill multi-grain hot cereal