Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These country-style home fries are a wonderful accompaniment to any breakfast, brunch or (in my family's case) breakfast for dinner. They turn out buttery and savory with a crispy brown outer coating. I like to serve these home fries when I make breakfast for dinner for my family. We enjoy them with a juicy, smokey ham steak cooked in my cast iron skillet with a side of baby peas. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large potatoes, diced, unpeeled (white or red)
- 1 medium onions, chopped or 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place diced potatoes, onion, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Increase skillet heat to medium-high and add potato mixture. Toss to coat evenly with butter.
- Cover skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning and scraping the potatoes to prevent burning.
- When potatoes are fork-tender, remove skillet cover.
- With the back of your spatula, pat potatoes down into an even layer in skillet. Allow to fry untouched for 2 minutes. Then turn potatoes over and do the same for another 2 minutes. This will nicely brown and crisp the outside of the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.
Delicious potatoes! This was really easy to make. I love the flavors from the spice combination. Everything from the ingredient amounts to cook time was perfect. Thank you!
Great potatoes. Loved the seasonings and how simple they were to prepare. Thanks for sharing. Made for Best of 2013 Tag.
I made more than the recipe called for even though only 3 of us were eating them as I wanted left overs for breakfast but no such luck we gobbled up the lot of these delicious potatoes. I used kifler potatoes and cut them into chunky pieces and they took closer to 20 minutes to cook in the initial cooking and about 5 minutes to crisp up. Thank you MarthaStewartWanabe, made for Best of 2013 tag game and recommended by Baby Kato.