Recipe by MarthaStewartWanabe
These country-style home fries are a wonderful accompaniment to any breakfast, brunch or (in my family's case) breakfast for dinner. They turn out buttery and savory with a crispy brown outer coating. I like to serve these home fries when I make breakfast for dinner for my family. We enjoy them with a juicy, smokey ham steak cooked in my cast iron skillet with a side of baby peas. Yum!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large potatoes, diced, unpeeled (white or red)
- 1 medium onions, chopped or 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place diced potatoes, onion, paprika, garlic powder, salt and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl. Toss to evenly coat the potatoes.
- In a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Increase skillet heat to medium-high and add potato mixture. Toss to coat evenly with butter.
- Cover skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning and scraping the potatoes to prevent burning.
- When potatoes are fork-tender, remove skillet cover.
- With the back of your spatula, pat potatoes down into an even layer in skillet. Allow to fry untouched for 2 minutes. Then turn potatoes over and do the same for another 2 minutes. This will nicely brown and crisp the outside of the potatoes.
- Serve immediately.