Recipe by Maïté G.
A must for every chocolate lover. Please do choose quality chocolate, it will improve the taste of this heavenly dessert. In Belgium it is served in almost every restaurant.
Top Review by cat
As only an occasional dabbler in the kitchen I did find this more of a fiddle than expected. I've never made a ruban or whisked egg whites before and did have to phone my mum to avoid total disaster. But now I've made it once the second attempt will be a much smoother, quicker operation and I can appreciate the simplicity of the recipe. It did involved all the bowls my house contained. i don't think that will change thought. I too used the best dark chocolate I could find and the result was really really rich and delicilous. The quantities stated made a much bigger vat than expected. I managed to feed 12 people easily - because it's so rich you don't really want a big helping. It would probably work very well with a shot of booze mixed in.
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat 4 eggs with 120 gr sugar until it starts turning white (= ruban)over a hot water bath.
- Take off the heat and beat until it's cold in a cold water bath.
- Melt the chocolate and carefully mix with the ruban.
- Beat the egg whites until they are half stiff and add the other 120 gr sugar, beat until it's stiff.
- Beat the cream until it's stiff.
- Carefully add the cream and the egg whites to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into small bowls and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.