Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A must for every chocolate lover. Please do choose quality chocolate, it will improve the taste of this heavenly dessert. In Belgium it is served in almost every restaurant.
- Beat 4 eggs with 120 gr sugar until it starts turning white (= ruban)over a hot water bath.
- Take off the heat and beat until it's cold in a cold water bath.
- Melt the chocolate and carefully mix with the ruban.
- Beat the egg whites until they are half stiff and add the other 120 gr sugar, beat until it's stiff.
- Beat the cream until it's stiff.
- Carefully add the cream and the egg whites to the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into small bowls and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
As only an occasional dabbler in the kitchen I did find this more of a fiddle than expected. I've never made a ruban or whisked egg whites before and did have to phone my mum to avoid total disaster. But now I've made it once the second attempt will be a much smoother, quicker operation and I can appreciate the simplicity of the recipe. It did involved all the bowls my house contained. i don't think that will change thought. I too used the best dark chocolate I could find and the result was really really rich and delicilous. The quantities stated made a much bigger vat than expected. I managed to feed 12 people easily - because it's so rich you don't really want a big helping. It would probably work very well with a shot of booze mixed in.
What an awesome, rich dessert! It is so much easier to make than I initially thought, and so worth it! Thanks for posting!
Heavenly indeed! Also very rich and fattening.