Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is the chocolate buttercream of your dreams. Incorporating both dark and milk chocolate gives it a silky smooth texture, deep flavor, and delicate sweetness compared to powdered-sugar buttercreams.
- 1 lb dark chocolate (Lindt 70% dark recommended)
- 8 ounces milk chocolate (Cadbury "Dairy Milk" recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- Break the chocolate into squares and place in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave, stopping and stirring every 15 seconds, until chocolate is completely melted. Do not allow it to exceed 160°F Chocolate may also be melted in a double boiler if you prefer.
- Allow the chocolate to cool until no longer warm to the touch.
- In a bowl, beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed and beat in the cooled chocolate until uniform in color.
- If the mixture is not set, chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes. Allow it to return to room temperature or until frosting consistency.
- Beat the frosting again in the electric mixer until thick and airy. It should also turn light brown in color.