Recipe by grandma2969
This is a really good lemon pie. part of the egg whites are incorporated into the filling. This is very delicious..important note**** place 6 yolks in small bowl, 3 whites in one bowl, and other 3 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, cold
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 eggs
IN ANOTHER BOWL
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 1 baked 9 " pastry shells
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large heavy pan. Mix well.
- Gradually stir in water and lemon juice, stirring until mixture is smooth. Whisk in the 6 egg yolks. Add butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly. Cook 1 minute after mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon rind. Cover and set aside. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat 3 egg whites into the filling. Place filling in the baked shell.
- Beat the other 3 egg whtes with cream of tartar, gradually adding the other 1/2 cup + 2 tbls of sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread meringue over the filling, sealing to the edge of pastry.
- Bake at 350* for 12-15 minutes., or until golden brown. serves 6-8.