Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Traditionally this dish is made with calves livers but these are quite hard to get in New Zealand. I love this dish because its super easy and super cheap! It goes particularly well with a side dish of mash potatoes or parsnips!
- 350 g chicken livers
- 200 g bacon
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- flour, for coating livers
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Dice up onions and bacon and start them simmering in butter and garlic in a small pan. Leave this on a low heat until the onions become translucent and start becoming sweet.
- While all that is on the stove, chop up your livers and prepare a flour batter seasoned with salt and pepper. Get a thick bottom pan and let it get very hot. Flour up your meat and drop it in in batches. Keep it turning so it browns on all sides but only keep it in for around 1-2min. The inside of the meat should still be lovely and soft when you bite into it. You do NOT want to overcook livers, they have a beautiful flavor on their own.
- Serve with a side of mash potatoes and parsnips and you've got a lovely meal!