Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
a beautiful, rich, and gorgeous pudding that i found in a nigella lawson cookbook.
Make and share this ***** Heavenly Butterscotch Layer Cake ***** recipe from Food.com.
- preheat the oven to 190C, and then start the icing.
- dissolve the sugar in water over a low heat, without stirring at all or the sugar will crystallise.
- when the sugar seems dissolved, increase the heat and boil until it turns a dark golden colour, this will take around 10-15 minutes.
- dont worry if it seems a little burnt, it will taste fine.
- take the pan off the heat and whisk in the double cream, slowly. dont worry if it looks a little lumpy, it will be fine soon enough.
- when all cream has been added, but the pan on the heat again, whisk until all is combined.
- cool the caramel and put it in the fridge until you need it.
- to make the two cake layers, but all ingredients excluding the double cream into a food processor and mix until smooth.
- scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl, and then process it again, adding a few tablespoons of cream.
- if it is runny, stop processing, if not, add a bit more cream and process until it is smooth.
- but the batter in two round sandwich tins (approx 21 cm in diameter is ideal) and bake for 25 minutes or until the cakes are coming away from the sides of the pan or until a knife comes out clean.
- leave to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then put on a rack until completely cool.
- put the caramel that tou have cooled doen in the fridge into alarge mixing bowl unti lyou reach the250 ml mark. leave the rest for drizzling over the cake later.
- beat the cream cheese unti lsmooth, then add the 250ml caraml , beat again until al lis smooth.
- put one cake on a plate, spread half the creamy caramel over the top, then put the other cake on top. ice the other cake with the remaining icing, then drizzle over the top the reserved caramel.
- enjoy your cake!