Top Review by dogsandwoods
07/04/09: I subbed 1/4 c canola oil for the 1/2 c shortening and these turned out great! This batch only needed to bake ten minutes. The dough was very sticky prior to rolling, but a generous amount of flour made it work out perfectly. Thank you for a keeper! 07/05/09: Since mmy hens lay large eggs, today I used only 1/2 cup of milk. The dough was perfect! These popover type biscuits are just wonderful and oh, so easy.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a cup, thoroughly mix the beaten egg and milk.
- Add to the flour mixture.
- Stir only until the dough forms a ball, but is still sticky.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead gently 10 strokes.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch thickness and cut with the rim of a glass that has been dipped in flour.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet, touching each other.
- Bake at 450 deg F for 12 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter when hot.