Recipe by P4
I got this recipe from a wonderful friend who is a chef and cooking instructor in Canada. I love it because it is super-moist, and has intense flavor. In a test of 5 different banana bread recipes, this is the one my husband and neighbors liked the best.
Top Review by Normaone
This is the best banana bread I have ever made. It is so moist that is really needs to stand a while before you cut into it, if you can wait that long! It was a contribution to my DH 'Goody Day" at work and disappeared in minutes. Needless to say, it was a success. Thanks!
- 2-3 bananas, black ripe
- 78.07 ml buttermilk
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 177.44 ml dark brown sugar
- 118.29 ml unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 314.66 ml flour
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml vanilla or 4.92 ml dark rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash or purée the bananas and buttermilk until smooth.
- Add the baking soda and mix.
- This activates the baking soda and neutralizes the soda taste.
- Cream the brown sugar and butter together until smooth.
- Beat in the egg.
- Add the banana purée and combine.
- The mixture often appears curdled at this stage.
- Add the baking powder to the flour; add gradually to the banana mixture.
- Stir just enough to combine evenly.
- Flavour with the extract.
- Pour into sprayed or greased pans.
- Fill the pans 2/3 full for even cooking.
- Bake in a preheated 375°F oven until set in the centre.
- A larger loaf pan will take about 45-50 minutes.
- Reduce the cooking time for smaller pans.
- Use a wooden skewer to test the centre.
- Leave in the pans for 10-15 minutes before turning out.
- Do not leave in the pans as the loaves sweat and become soggy.