Recipe by nesbitt929
Oh my gosh! My brother told me how to make this years ago and asked if I would make it for him. We had cleaned some fresh quail and his wife was out of town. I did and was instantly hooked on this meal. We had this like every night for a week and at least once a week after due to the fact we raised quail on the farm at the time.
Top Review by Dougie55
A really good recipe. My lady cannot eat mushrooms, so I subbed cream of celery. Also added a little paprika. She loved it. Thought the pepper and onion amounts were fine. Thanks
- 4 quail
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 slices bacon, cut in half
- oil (for frying)
- 1 cup flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In frying pan heat about 2 inches of oil.
- Cut each quail in half down the back.
- Wrap bacon piece around each half and secure with toothpicks.
- Dredge in flour and fry in the oil until light brown.
- Drain on paper towel,and place in casserole dish,throw in the onion,bell pepper,and seasonings.Mix the soup with the water and pour over the quail.
- Cover and bake at 350°F about one hour or until done.Pierce quail with fork to check if it is tender.If it is,leave cover off for ten minutes then remove from oven.
- Remove the toothpicks.
- Serve over hot rice or mashed potatoes.
- Good with hot buttered biscuits.