Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
Woodall's Camp Cooking,Jimmy Bannos Angel Dust Cajun Seasoning and Roasted Garlic Puree posted separately.
Top Review by LisaBonamy
This tasted good. However I was stumped by how much tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes to use. Then in the directions it talks about 'white' peppers? Also, do not cook the penne until the end.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons cajun seasoning
- 3 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups seeded diced green bell peppers
- 1 cut diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced green onion, white and green parts
- 1 teaspoon seeded minced jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons roasted garlic, puree (*)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cane syrup or 1 tablespoon light molasses
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- tomato sauce
- crushed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, for garnish
- fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs dry penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chicken in a bowl and toss with 1 tablespoon of the Cajun seasoning.
- Heat oil in a 4-quart Dutch oven over high heat. Add chicken and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, celery, onions, jalapeno, garlic puree, bay leaf, oregano, dried basil, ground black and white peppers, red pepper flakes, cane syrup, granulated and brown sugars, and the remaining tablespoon of Cajun seasoning; cook for 10 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
- Pour in the tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Stir in the fresh parsley and basil; heat for 1 minute. Serve with grated cheese.