Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is something my daughter threw together one night for her 6 kids. She has also added this sauce to macaroni noodles when she runs out of spaghetti.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 3 ounces virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme (or dried)
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, crushed and mixed well with their juices
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 lb pork sausage
- salt & pepper
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent, but not brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the meat mixture, cook until pink is gone (about 10 minutes).
- Add the thyme, Italian seasoning, carrots and then cook for (5 minutes more).
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, the tomato paste and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to just bubbling, about medium low, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.