Recipe by Brooke the Cook in WI
I love pumpkin bars, but hate the fat that is usually in them. You won't miss it here! There is not one drop of oil added to this recipe, moreover, it adds wheat flour for whole grain goodness and is reduced sugar. Makes a great big ban pan and a very good sized serving, each serving contains less than 140 calories and only 2g of fat! FYI - only 77 calories each if you omit the frosting.
Top Review by ladypit
We really liked these; even my "I don't like pumpkin" kid enjoyed them. Instead of applesauce I used a cup of Recipe#397373 so mine were super squash-y tasting. Very moist and always looked a tad underdone, but really good with the frosting.
- 1 cup egg substitute (or egg whites to equal 1 cup)
- 1 cup Splenda granular
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 15 ounces pumpkin (one can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -2 teaspoon skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare 15x10x1 baking pan - I use a stone one for this recipe.
- Beat together sugars, applesauce, pumpkin and egg substitute in a large bowl.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients into sugar mixture, mixing well.
- Pour into a 15x10x1 pan and bake for 23-27 minutes.
- Cool completely (overnight).
- Mix together icing ingredients, adding more milk if necessary. Spread over bars.
- After frosting has set, store bars in refrigerator between layers of parchment paper.