Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I've brought this variation of baked beans to many BBQ's, even has made an appearance at Easter dinner - its one of those recipes that people say 'oh would you bring those baked beans again please.' I always make them in the crock-pot, but have included instructions for oven too. Leftovers re-heat very well.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can baby butter beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) canmaple flavored baked beans or 1 (28 ounce) canmaple flavored pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans or 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular or 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (hickory or honey flavored)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I use honey mustard if I've got it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- Brown beef, onion and bacon over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, add all beans to crock-pot.
- Add beef mixture to beans and stir.
- Combine remaining ingredients with a whisk and stir into bean mixture.
- Turn crock-pot to low for at least 4 hours - I have made them farther in advance, they'll get thicker as time goes on.
- Oven directions: If you'd like to bake them in the oven, pour bean mixture into large dutch oven and bake at 350 for an hour.
Great baked beans recipe. We loved the use of ground beef, which made it similar to a chili, but with the sweetness of baked beans. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)
Absolutely great tasting baked beans! Pretty much followed your recipe, but did make one slight change & added a procedure ~ I substituted bacon bits for the slices of bacon & I also rinsed both the butter & the kidney beans before adding them to the mix! Definitely a winner of a recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
Skipped the bacon and 1/4 cup sugar. Drained and rinsed the butter beans and black eyed peas (replacing the kidney beans)to remove excess sodium. This is sweet and rich. Recipe #368461 was used for the BBQ sauce. Made for ZWT6 Thanks.