Recipe by Brooke the Cook in WI
I've brought this variation of baked beans to many BBQ's, even has made an appearance at Easter dinner - its one of those recipes that people say 'oh would you bring those baked beans again please.' I always make them in the crock-pot, but have included instructions for oven too. Leftovers re-heat very well.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can baby butter beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) canmaple flavored baked beans or 1 (28 ounce) canmaple flavored pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can baked beans or 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular or 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (hickory or honey flavored)
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons mustard (I use honey mustard if I've got it)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown beef, onion and bacon over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, add all beans to crock-pot.
- Add beef mixture to beans and stir.
- Combine remaining ingredients with a whisk and stir into bean mixture.
- Turn crock-pot to low for at least 4 hours - I have made them farther in advance, they'll get thicker as time goes on.
- Oven directions: If you'd like to bake them in the oven, pour bean mixture into large dutch oven and bake at 350 for an hour.