Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Don't be fooled by the title. This is an elegant dish suitable for a romantic dinner or special occasion. My brother-in-law has requested this dish many times for his birthday dinner.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour (approximately)
- salt and pepper
- 4 green onions, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream (may use more)
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh or dried
- Pour flour onto a plate or pie plate. Add salt and pepper. I add a lot of pepper to make the chicken quite spicy. Add the chicken pieces to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- Saute chicken in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown (approximately 10 minutes).
- Once chicken is golden brown, add the mushrooms and green onions. Cover and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Uncover.
- Add chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. Bring mixture to a boil over medium to medium high heat until mixture reduces. Be careful to keep an eye on it or you could reduce it too much. If you do reduce it too much, add more chicken broth.
- Slice french bread into 1" or 2" slices and place on a cookie sheet. Toast on the top shelf of oven, under the broiler, for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Watch closely so they don't burn.
- To serve, pour heaping spoonfuls of the chicken mixture over the toast slices and enjoy! Garnish with parsley - - I take a pinch of parsley and sprinkle lightly over entire plate for a splash of color.
I did cut the recipe in half for just the 2 of us, but that was because of the mushrooms ~ Normally when I do a chicken breast recipe I use four breasts so that I have another meal ready to go! Anyway, I'm not fond of limp mushrooms, although my other half likes 'em any ol' way! So, I sauteed the mushrooms separately, & ever so slightly, then added them to the toast just before spooning on the chicken mixture, & that worked just great for both of us! Absolutely delicious, & another great new way for me to serve chicken! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in I Recommend recipe tag]
This was very good and the flavors went so well together with the addition of some garlic seasoning. I only used 2 chicken breasts for the two of us but didn't change anything about the other ingredients. Loved the sauce in this. I did use half & half instead of the heavy cream and 98% fat free chicken broth. I can see so many alternatives in preparing this recipe with different types of peppers. Thanks for sharing. Made for "Let's Party 2011"
I had never heard of this until I met my husband's family and I thought they made it up!! One of my very favorite comfort foods. MIL makes it a bit differently but we make it like this after several versions. Thanks for posting it!