1/1 Photo of Heather's Awesome Chicken on Toast
Northern Cook's Note:
Don't be fooled by the title. This is an elegant dish suitable for a romantic dinner or special occasion. My brother-in-law has requested this dish many times for his birthday dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flour (approximately)
- salt and pepper
- 4 green onions, diced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (may use more)
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, fresh or dried
- 1Pour flour onto a plate or pie plate. Add salt and pepper. I add a lot of pepper to make the chicken quite spicy. Add the chicken pieces to the flour mixture and toss to coat.
- 2Saute chicken in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown (approximately 10 minutes).
- 3Once chicken is golden brown, add the mushrooms and green onions. Cover and cook an additional 5-8 minutes. Uncover.
- 4Add chicken broth and heavy whipping cream. Bring mixture to a boil over medium to medium high heat until mixture reduces. Be careful to keep an eye on it or you could reduce it too much. If you do reduce it too much, add more chicken broth.
- 5Slice french bread into 1" or 2" slices and place on a cookie sheet. Toast on the top shelf of oven, under the broiler, for 1 to 2 minutes per side. Watch closely so they don't burn.
- 6To serve, pour heaping spoonfuls of the chicken mixture over the toast slices and enjoy! Garnish with parsley - - I take a pinch of parsley and sprinkle lightly over entire plate for a splash of color.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heather's Awesome Chicken on Toast
Serving Size: 1 (742 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1364.2
- Calories from Fat 386
- Total Fat 42.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 153.9 mg
- Sodium 1988.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 173.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 70.3 g