Recipe by Rita~
This is for Heather. A very healthy and easy or should I say Cheating way to make ice cream. Here's a great link about Avocados... www.mycustompak.com/healthNotes/Food_Guide/Avocado.htm Oh and don't forget to take advantage of the avocado skins, Rub the inside of the skin of your face for a facial mask or rub on your knees and elbows to soften.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
I had never tried avocado ice cream before and since I love avocados, I was very excited to give this a try. While it is a very easy recipe to prepare, I am very sorry to say that this did not work out well for me. I tasted the ice cream before refreezing it, and it really had too much of a vegetabley taste, and not enough of a dessert taste. I did use high quality vanilla ice cream, but felt the recipe really needed some added sugar. The sugar helped quite a bit - I made a half batch of the recipe and added about 1 1/2 cups sugar. I also felt that it needed more almond extract, so I upped the amount to about 1 Tbsp. With these changes, the ice cream was much improved, but I think many would consider this to be an acquired taste. In addition, I had trouble getting this to refreeze firmly - the texture is very much like soft serve, even after a full 24 hours in the deep freeze. It does have a very pretty green color, with nice speckles from the pistachios.
- 4 large ripe avocados
- 1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped, peeled and pan roasted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 gallon vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and seed avocados.
- Cut avocados into small pieces to fit in the blender or food processor.
- Place ice cream, extract and avocados in blender and puree until well-blended.
- Stir in pistachio.
- Pour into container and place back into freezer overnight.
- Scoop, sit back and enjoy!