Prep 25 mins
Cook 28 mins
These brownie bars have bits of heath English-toffee in them and are so yummy! Wonderful on the holiday cookie tray, or anytime. From Bon Appetit, September 2004.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted, cooled (about 4 ounces)
- 5 (1 1/2 ounce) heath english toffee-flavored candy bars, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- Stir butter and chocolate in a heavy small saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Cool to lukewarm.
- Whisk flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl until thick and billowy, about 3 minutes. Beat in chocolate mixture, then flour miture. Fold in pecans. Transfer to pan.
- Bake until puffed and a tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 28 minutes.
- Sprinkle brownies with chopped toffee bars. Cool in pan on rack. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; store at room temperature.) Cut into squares.