Recipe by charlened
From Dec 2004 Vegetarian Times. Just before you're ready to serve, mash a few potatoes against the cookers side and blend them into the broth to thicken it. Add chucks of seitan any time during the cooking.Halved brussel sprouts also make a colorful addition.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small shallots, peeled and halved
- 8 ounces baby carrots
- 1 lb new potato, scrubbed and halved
- 2 turnips or 1 small rutabaga, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt & pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine or 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tamri soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme (or a mix of all three) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried sage (or a mix of all three) or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons savory (or a mix of all three)
Directions See How It's Made
- Oil bottom of slow cooker with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add shallots, carrots, potatoes, turnips and garlic and toss to coat with oil.
- Add salt, pepper, stock, wine, tamari and herbs. Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Do Not stir.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low until all veggies are tender, 6 to 8 hours.