Recipe by ellie_
Hearty winter stew is slow-cooked on the stove but I think it will also work in a crockpot on low increasing the cooking time to at least 8-10 hours. This hearty soup is delicious is hearty whole wheat bread or popovers. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1987)
Top Review by PaulaG
I used the crockpot for a wounderful meal. I did find it necessary to cut back on the veggies as the pot was filled to the brim. Instead of cooking the beef and chicken seperate, I used extra lean beef stew meat which was mixed in with the veggies and then placed a couple of leg quarters (skin removed) on top of everything. When the chicken was done, I removed it from the bone and returned it to the pot. I left out the turnip and instead of lima beans, I doubled up on the corn. To complete everything I added about 4 chopped green chili which provided a nice kick. Thanks, I am sure I will prepare this again during the cold months ahead.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) chicken
- 1 (2 lb) beef chuck with bone
- 1 lb beef bones with marrow
- 5 quarts water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup lima beans (I use frozen)
- 1 cup corn kernel (I use frozen thawed)
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- cayenne pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken, beef and bones in a 12-quart pot, adding enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender (2 1/2- 3 hours).
- Remove chicken and beef. Let cool and cut meat and chicken off bones, discarding skin and bones.
- Strain stock. (can be prepared one day ahead to this point), cover and refrigerate in two containers (beef and chicken in one and stock in another. Degrease stock before continuing).
- Degrease stock and bring to a boil in dutch oven.
- Cut chicken and beef into small (1/2 inch) pieces and add to stock.
- Add vegetables (potatoes- tomatoes) to pan.
- Reduce heat, simmer stirring occassionally for 6-7 hours (or turn into a crockpot on low for 8-10 hours).
- Season with salt, pepper, and pepper sauce.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.