1/2 Photos of Hearty Winter Stew
8 hrs 30 mins
Hearty winter stew is slow-cooked on the stove but I think it will also work in a crockpot on low increasing the cooking time to at least 8-10 hours. This hearty soup is delicious is hearty whole wheat bread or popovers. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1987)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) chicken
- 1 (2 lb) beef chuck with bone
- 1 lb beef bones with marrow
- 5 quarts water
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 onions, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup lima beans (I use frozen)
- 1 cup corn kernel (I use frozen thawed)
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- cayenne pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley, garnish
- 1Place chicken, beef and bones in a 12-quart pot, adding enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender (2 1/2- 3 hours).
- 3Remove chicken and beef. Let cool and cut meat and chicken off bones, discarding skin and bones.
- 4Strain stock. (can be prepared one day ahead to this point), cover and refrigerate in two containers (beef and chicken in one and stock in another. Degrease stock before continuing).
- 5Degrease stock and bring to a boil in dutch oven.
- 6Cut chicken and beef into small (1/2 inch) pieces and add to stock.
- 7Add vegetables (potatoes- tomatoes) to pan.
- 8Reduce heat, simmer stirring occassionally for 6-7 hours (or turn into a crockpot on low for 8-10 hours).
- 9Season with salt, pepper, and pepper sauce.
- 10Garnish with cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Winter Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 577.6
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 121.5 mg
- Sodium 304.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 40.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow