1 hr 24 mins
This recipe takes a little longer to cook but it is well worth it. A great cold winter treat. You can change the type of beans that you use if you want to.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml small dried red beans
- 118.29 ml dried lentils
- 59.14 ml dried split peas
- 59.14 ml white dried navy beans
- 39.43 ml chicken bouillon granules
- 78.07 ml instant minced onion
- 9.85 ml dried basil
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- 0.59 ml ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 158.51 ml raw brown rice or 158.51 ml long-grain rice (***NO INSTANT***)
- 1Note: Be sure to sort through all beans and discard unusable ones.
- 2DO NOT USE INSTANT RICE.
- 3**NOTE: For jar gifts: layer beans in the jar then put the plastic bags with the rice and spices on top of them.
- 5**In a small plastic bag, mix red beans, lentils, split peas and navy beans, In another small plastic bag, mix bouillon granules, minced onion, basil leaves, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, ginger and bay leaf.
- 6In a third small plastic bag, place rice.
- 7Attach this to the Jar:.
- 8Hearty Winter Soup Preparation.
- 9To prepare, wash beans and place in a 3-quart saucepan with 6 cups water.
- 10Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat.
- 12Let stand 30 minutes.
- 13Drain beans and return to pan.
- 14Ham can be added for those meat eaters.
- 15Add package of seasonings with 8 cups water.
- 16Bring to a boil.
- 17Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- 18Add rice and continue simmering until beans and rice are tender: brown rice, 45 minutes; parboiled rice, 25 minutes; long-grain rice, 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Winter Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Winter Soup Mix in a Jar
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 218.9
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 502.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 11.8 g