Recipe by TROUBLE4U2
This recipe takes a little longer to cook but it is well worth it. A great cold winter treat. You can change the type of beans that you use if you want to.
- 1 cup small dried red beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils
- 1⁄4 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄4 cup white dried navy beans
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄3 cup instant minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup raw brown rice or 2⁄3 cup long-grain rice (***NO INSTANT***)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: Be sure to sort through all beans and discard unusable ones.
- DO NOT USE INSTANT RICE.
- **NOTE: For jar gifts: layer beans in the jar then put the plastic bags with the rice and spices on top of them.
- **In a small plastic bag, mix red beans, lentils, split peas and navy beans, In another small plastic bag, mix bouillon granules, minced onion, basil leaves, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, ginger and bay leaf.
- In a third small plastic bag, place rice.
- Attach this to the Jar:.
- Hearty Winter Soup Preparation.
- To prepare, wash beans and place in a 3-quart saucepan with 6 cups water.
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain beans and return to pan.
- Ham can be added for those meat eaters.
- Add package of seasonings with 8 cups water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- Add rice and continue simmering until beans and rice are tender: brown rice, 45 minutes; parboiled rice, 25 minutes; long-grain rice, 20 minutes.