1 hr 5 mins
This recipe comes from my good friend Thomas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 loaf great harvest honey whole wheat bread
- 1 additional loaf whole wheat bread
- 1 large onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cremini mushrooms (Sliced, optional ingredient)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) carton vegetables, mushroom or 1 (16 ounce) carton no-chicken broth
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1Cut bread into cubes and set aside in a large bowl. (Bread crumbs need not be dried.).
- 2Peel onion and garlic cloves. Wash all vegetables and clean seeds from red pepper.
- 3Slice onions, garlic, celery, red pepper, and mushrooms, discarding the stems.
- 4Saute onions and celery in olive oil for several minutes, slowly stirring in half the spices (except for sage).
- 5Add garlic, red pepper, and remainder of spices, continuing to saute vegetables.
- 6Add mushrooms and continue to stir all vegetables as they cook. Add more olive oil as needed.
- 7Scramble eggs in a separate bowl. Remove vegetables from burner before onions brown.
- 8Add vegetables to bread cubes in bowl and stir. Add broth and continue to stir until moist.
- 9Add eggs and sage to stuffing mixture in bowl and mix until evenly distributed.
- 10Spray or wipe baking pans with olive oil. Place and distribute bread crumb mixture in pans.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake dressing mixture in hot oven for 20-30 minutes (uncovered).
- 12Remove stuffing from oven once it is crisp and lightly browned on top but still moist inside.
- 13Cover with foil and keep stuffing warm until it is ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Whole Wheat Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (164 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 415.9
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 586.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 18.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: