1/1 Photo of Hearty Whole Wheat Bread
2 hrs 30 mins
Susiecat too's Note:
I came to this recipe by playing with different proportions of ingredients from other recipes. I have found this recipe to be consistently good, with a hearty but not too-heavy texture. It slices beautifully, and is wonderful made as dinner rolls or bread sticks, too. If you use active dry yeast instead of instant (rapid rise) yeast, then you will need to proof your yeast in a little bit of the water before adding it in to the mixture. The cooking time reflects baking and rising time too. The prep time is the actual mixing and kneading time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, dissolve the salt in the water.
- 2Add the honey and canola oil, mix well to completely dissolve.
- 3Add the eggs and mix well.
- 4Add 1-2 cups of the bread flour, mix until good and sloppy.
- 5Add the yeast, and mix well.
- 6Add the remainder of the bread flour, mixing well.
- 7Add in the wheat germ and then the whole wheat flour, a cup at a time, until difficult to mix with a spoon.
- 8Turn dough out onto a floured surface (use any remaining whole wheat flour for your surface) and continue to mix and knead until all the flour is incorporated.
- 9Knead for 10-15 minutes, until dough is uniformly smooth, and bounces back at you when you press it. The firmness resembles a nerf ball, and the surface at this point should be tacky (like a post-it note) but not sticky enough to adhere to your hands.
- 10Pour a little bit of oil in your empty bowl, and coat all sides. Put the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with the oil.
- 11Cover the bowl (with a large plate, or with plastic wrap) and set it in a warm spot to rise until doubled in size, for approximately 60-90 minutes. If you used instant yeast the rising time will be shorter than for active dry yeast.
- 12Punch down dough and remove from bowl to floured surface.
- 13Knead briefly to incorporate oil.
- 14Form into two loaves, or into 24 dinner rolls or bread sticks.
- 15Put bread back in your warm spot, covered with plastic wrap, to rise again, another 45-60 minutes.
- 16Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 17Bake loaves for 30 minutes, rolls or bread sticks for 10-12 minutes, until golden on the crust.
- 18Cool on racks.
- 19Freezes well.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Whole Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (67 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.7
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 5.0 g