1 hr 5 mins
By way of Martha Stewart, this is a delicious and pretty bread. The aroma while cooking will make you happy, and hungry! There is about a 3 hour rising time. Found on Pinterest posted by The Diva Dish.
My Private Note
mini lo ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 cups warm water (110 deg)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup whole grain all purpose baking flour (or could sub more whole wheat pastry flour)
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or use white whole wheat flour)
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil (large chunks)
- 1/3 cup millet
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 egg white
- 1Soak millet in 1/2 cup warm water for 20 minutes, set aside.
- 2In a separate bowl add 1/2 cup warm water and sprinkle yeast inches Add 2 teaspoons of honey and whisk together until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes, or until foamy/frothy.
- 3In a separate bowl add flours and salt and whisk together. Once yeast is ready, pour yeast into a mixing bowl fitted with dough hook. Add melted butter, 1 1/2 cups warm water, and 3 TB maple syrup. Mix until combined. Then add 3 cups of flour mix. Mix on low speed until smooth. Then add in millet (plus water in bowl), and the rest of the seeds/oats, and basil.
- 4Mix at low speed until combined. Then add remaining flour until dough is combined and somewhat smooth.
- 5On a floured surface kneed dough for about 5 minutes until a smooth ball forms.
- 6Place dough in greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for an hour or so. (I did about 1 1/2 hours).
- 7When dough has risen, punch it down. T hen divide dough into about 6 or 7 balls. Form balls and place on cookie sheet fitted with a cooking mat(or parchment paper).
- 8Take your egg white, and add a little water, and brush the tops of the dough balls. Then cover baking sheet with plastic and let dough sit for about another 1 1/2 hours to rise.
- 9Pre heat oven to 400 degrees, and when the dough is ready, bake for about 22-25 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
- 10Try not to pass out of excitement due to the most amazing smell that will fill your house!
- 11Pull out of the oven…and smile!
- 12(Don’t forget to brush with more butter straight out of the oven!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Whole Grain Basil Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1733 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 717.9
- Calories from Fat 178
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 1572.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 21.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: