Recipe by Katie in Atlanta
These are the best pancakes I have ever tasted. I thought my previous recipe was excellent until I tried these. You can change the proportions of the flours and the cornmeal as long as they add up to 3 cups. To be dairy-free, be sure to use dairy-free margarine.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄2 cups rice milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- At the very start, mix the cornmeal with 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- This will give the cornmeal time to soften.
- Preheat griddle to 350- 400 degrees F.
- Beat together the eggs, the remaining liquid, the melted margarine and the salt.
- Mix in the cornmeal mixture and the sugar, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder.
- The result should be thick but still pourable.
- Adjust as needed by adding liquid.
- Lightly grease the griddle.
- Drop about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.
- Make shapes or inside out letters if desired.
- Cook until there are bubbles on the top and edges look less shiny.
- Turn with spatula and brown the other side.