1/2 Photos of Hearty Vegetarian Lentil Soup
This comes from my favorite cookbook, Vegetarian cooking for everyone by Deborah Maddison. I LOVE this soup. It is earthy & so satisfying. I make it at least once a month and wanted to post for nutrition info! This soup gets better as it sits!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced onions
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (I use dried)
- 1 1/2 cups french green lentils or 1 1/2 cups brown lentils, washed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1In soup pot, sauté onion in oil until soft.
- 2Work minced garlic into 1 teaspoon of salt to form a paste and add to onions.
- 3Mix in tomato paste. Add celery, carrot bay leaves and parley. Cook 3 minutes.
- 4Add lentils, 2 quarts of water and 1/2 tsp of salt and bring to a boil.
- 5Lower heat and simmer 25-30 minutes till everything is tender.
- 6Stir in mustard and vinegar. Garnish with celery leaves and parsley if desired.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegetarian Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.5
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 57.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 6.9 g