This comes from my favorite cookbook, Vegetarian cooking for everyone by Deborah Maddison. I LOVE this soup. It is earthy & so satisfying. I make it at least once a month and wanted to post for nutrition info! This soup gets better as it sits!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely diced onions
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley (I use dried)
- 1 1⁄2 cups french green lentils or 1 1⁄2 cups brown lentils, washed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- In soup pot, sauté onion in oil until soft.
- Work minced garlic into 1 teaspoon of salt to form a paste and add to onions.
- Mix in tomato paste. Add celery, carrot bay leaves and parley. Cook 3 minutes.
- Add lentils, 2 quarts of water and 1/2 tsp of salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 25-30 minutes till everything is tender.
- Stir in mustard and vinegar. Garnish with celery leaves and parsley if desired.